Family PIc April 2015

Family PIc April 2015

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Counting My Blessings...

Here at our house, we get pretty excited about surprise blessings.

And, God seems to just show up with a blessing when we need it most.

Sometimes, it's an unexpected and encouraging note in the mailbox... 

Or someone making a nice comment about our family instead of looking at us like we have three heads and only one tiny brain. 

Sometimes, it's a bag of hand-me-down clothes from a friend who couldn't have known that my 3 yr. old had just grown out of all the jeans in his closet.  And, guess what?  The bag will have "new" jeans just his size! 

I totally love when God does that!  It never ceases to amaze me.  :)

Once, when I was pregnant with our 3rd child, I remember God showing up in an amazing way to me.  We had recently moved to a new city, bought a house, and were still waiting for our old home (3 hrs. away) to sell.  Money was tight.  We budget and simply didn't spend money on anything we didn't NEED... 

At the same time, I was really craving Krispy Kreme donuts...and you know how pregnancy cravings can be!?!? 

But, I did without and didn't mention it to anyone - not even my sweet hubby.  Then, one Sunday morning, we were walking out of church, and a man we didn't even know walked up to us with a box of Krispy Kreme donuts and asked if we would take them.  The man had no idea who we were and couldn't have known that I was craving them.  But, GOD KNEW.  When we got into our van with the donuts, I cried.  I told Gregg, "God gave me donuts!"  (pretty sure Gregg thought my hormones were way out of whack at that point! hahaha! )

It seems a little silly to write about that now.  Maybe you could call it a coincidence.  But, I don't think so.  I think we need to be acutely aware of the many, many ways in which God gives us good gifts.  I just sort of picture Him looking at us in hopeful expectation - just waiting for us to smile and say, "Yippeee!  Thank you!  I love you!"

I really like to do this with my kids.  I like to give them little things and watch them beam with excitement.  I'm pretty sure God is the same way with us - considering we are made in His image and all... 

So, this past week, we had lots of blessings, but there were two that really stood out to me:

The first was on Monday.  A friend sent a special basket of goodies.  She knew I would be beginning the home school year with my little ones.  She fashioned a basket of goodies for our family with some of our favorite snacks - Reese's cups, Doritos, and pistachios.  And, inside was a very sweet and encouraging note.  The basket of goodies was great, but the encouragement and the thought that somebody cared was even better.  Thank you, Lord, for caring friends - and goodies. :) 



 
 
The second surprise blessing came on Tuesday.  A friend had contacted me asking if I might be interested in some maternity clothes.  Although I do have enough maternity clothes from my previous pregnancies, I had begun to get a little concerned that I was going to have to buy some new shorts/capris/pants because - well, I'm a little heavier this time than the others.  Such is life, right?
 
So, here's the thing...she brings FOUR bags of maternity clothes to my house on Tuesday morning.  And, guess what?  There were pants and capris and shorts that fit me!!  And lots of pretty shirts for me to wear, too.  And, although I can certainly wear my older maternity clothes, what woman doesn't like some new pretty things to add to her wardrobe? 
 
God knew that I could "make do" with what I had, but I have a feeling He was beaming with excitement as I took each article of clothing from the bags.  I have a feeling He just couldn't wait to see my joy and hear me say, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  I love them!"
 
 
 
Now, I "get" that these are material things...but to me, it's so much more than that.

God knows me intimately.  He knows my desires.  He knows when I'm feeling alone or down and just need a little surprise encouragement.  He even knows when I'm feeling frumpy in my old maternity clothes.

And, HE CARES.  He really cares.  For me, the basket and the maternity clothes this week were a part of God telling me so.

Thank you, Lord.

I promise to not stop counting my blessings.  For they are many...

No comments:

Post a Comment